Who Is This Use Case For?
This use case is for organizations that want guidance on whether they should choose Devolutions Server or Devolutions Hub Business to securely vault and manage business user passwords along with other sensitive information (e.g., building alarm codes, software license keys, etc.).
Strong password management is essential. Research has found that 81% of data breaches are caused by compromised, weak, or re-used passwords, while 29% of all data breaches (regardless of attack type) involve the use of stolen credentials.
To reduce the risk of a data breach and enhance security hygiene across their workforce, many organizations wisely want to adopt a centralized password management solution. However, they are unsure if they should choose Devolutions’ cloud-based password management solution Devolutions Hub Business, or Devolutions’ self-hosted password management solution Devolutions Server.
Both Devolutions Server and Devolutions Hub Business provide organizations with secure, robust, and easy-to-use password management tools and features, including:
- Role-based access control
- Centralized password vault
- Strong password generator
- Support for 2FA
- Secure password sharing
- Extensive activity logs and reports
However, there are some important differences as well. Answering the following three questions will help organizations determine whether it is better for them to choose Devolutions Server or Devolutions Hub Business.
1. Do we need to authenticate users via Active Directory?
Organizations that answer “yes” to this question should choose Devolutions Server, which allows authentication via Active Directory. Devolutions Hub Business does not support this option.
2. Do we need Privileged Access Management (PAM)?
Organizations that answer “yes” to this question should choose Devolutions Server, which has a built-in PAM module for monitoring and controlling privileged accounts. Key PAM-related features include:
- Privileged session recording and monitoring
- Privileged account discovery
- Checkout request approval workflow
- Password rotation on check-in
- Real-time notifications
3. Do we need an self-hosted solution for compliance or security purposes?
Organizations that answer “yes” to this question should choose Devolutions Server. While Devolutions Hub Business uses the latest AES 256-bit encryption standards, some organizations may nevertheless need or prefer an self-hosted solution for enhanced compliance or security purposes. For example, some organizations in certain industries (such as healthcare) may be required to maintain full in-house control of their data (i.e., their data cannot be stored outside their environment with a third-party service provider).
- Devolutions Server: The server is deployed within the organization’s infrastructure using an SQL Server or SQL Azure back-end database.
- Devolutions Hub Business: Created online and ready to launch in just a few minutes.
Both Devolutions Server and Devolutions Hub Business feature a web interface, which allows end users to quickly and easily save credentials and other sensitive data in a shared vault, or in their private user vault. In addition, both solutions seamlessly integrate with Remote Desktop Manager, which centralizes all remote connections on a single platform that is securely shared between users and across the entire team.
Summary of Benefits
- Increase Security: Enforce password management policies and overall security hygiene across the organization.
- Improve Administration: Prevent users from forgetting passwords and requesting resets — which slows them down and is a burden on IT.
- Strengthen Control: Give SysAdmins full control over password management without affecting end user productivity or experience.
Learn more about how Devolutions can help your organization boost security and productivity.
In the technology world, your use cases are only as effective as the value someone’s deriving from them. That’s why at Devolutions we are doing our best to help you make the right choice with easy to understand use case examples for you and your team for an ideal productive environment. Read more Use Cases